Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Canning


And the Canning Season is OVER!!! Praise the Lord! I finished up canning the last batches of jelly this morning. Here is the break down for the year 2011.

100 jars of jam/jelly, 72 peaches, 105 applesauce, 56 pickles & relish, 7 cherry pie filling, 7 strawberry sauce, 7 tomato sauce (I was hoping for 100 here, but this year

was not tomatoes year), 31 salsa, 58 pears, 106 grape juice and 11 grape jelly!
Drum Roll please...550 1/2 pints, pints and quarts!

And the coolest part? We only bought 1/3 of our strawberries (u-pick of course), a bucket of cucumbers(from a local lady), a box of tomatoes and peppers (from a farmer family) and the peaches (local)...everything else was FREE!

To top it off we have frozen strawberries (40+ lbs.), frozen blackberries, blueberries & raspberries as well as quarts full of blanched and frozen peas, carrots & green beans (from our garden!), and broccoli (gleaned about 80 pounds!). Oh, and this Spring Travis raised and butchered 25 Cornish cross chickens, each one weighs 6-8 pounds a piece! I am so glad for winter...that is after we prep the garden for winter etc...

And look! Room for more! : )
I want to go eat some now!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I'm so jealous. Learning to can was on my list of goals this year, but I never ended up doing it. You're going to be grateful for your efforts all winter long!

Robyn

Melinda said...

I'm very impressed